All schools, pre-schools and further and higher education settings will remain closed to students until 19 April 2020. The decision has been taken following advice from the NPHET (National Public Health Emergency Team) as part of efforts to contain the spread of Covid-19.
In order to minimise the impact on teaching and learning all schools will be asked to continue to plan lessons and, where possible, provide online resources for students or online lessons where schools are equipped to do so. Schools are asked to be conscious of students that may not have access to online facilities and to consider this actively in their response.
Scoilnet has a number of home usage supports for teachers and students to benefit from. All of the supports below are FREE and do not require registration or sign-in.
These tools include:
- Scoilnet Website - Students and teachers can access over 20,000 resources shared by Primary and Post-Primary teachers anytime, anywhere. Search materials by class/year group, subject, strand, and learning outcomes.
- World Book Online - All students in the Republic of Ireland have open and free home access to World Book Online. World Book is a trusted encyclopedia containing thousands of informational articles with stunning illustrations, videos, interactive maps, research help, and activities.
NEW! World Book Online has created a guide to distance learning resources on World Book Online for parents and educators.
- Scoilnet Dedicated Subject Pages - The Scoilnet Team are working hard to bring teachers and students dedicated Post-Primary subject pages where they will find teacher-shared collections, collections by organisations, and what's in demand or popular on Scoilnet right now for their subject area.
Choose from: Maths, Science, Irish, English, History, Modern Foreign Languages, Geography, Politics and Society.
- Scoilnet Themepages - Primary school teachers and students can access subject-based themed pages. Each themepage presents a set of links and resources on a particular topic.
- Scoilnet Learning Paths - A Learning Path is a feature on Scoilnet that enables teachers to select and organise resources from the Scoilnet site into a sequence or collection and quickly share it with their peers or pupils.
- Scoilnet Threads - Assign an oral History project and watch as your students submit their projects online through the Threads online space.
- CensusAtSchool - Get your class to participate in the CensusAtSchool national online questionnaire. The class data is then collated and made available to class teachers, so that students can see the real-life relevance of statistics.
- News Article - Scoilnet has reached out online to teachers and organisations to share their support and resources with one another. Scoilnet would like to highlight a number of these supports or teacher recommendations through this online space.
- Tools to Support Digital Assessment -Some sample online digital tools that teachers and students could use to assess student's process.
- ePortfolios - A quick overview on a sample of some platforms for e-learning.
Irish teachers are excellent at coming together to support one another. If you have a resource or website that you can recommend other teachers or students to use get in contact with Scoilnet through the Contact Us facility or by sharing a resource through Scoilnet website using your Scoilnet Account.